Family Update From Venta Care Centre
To our Residents and Family Members,
As you may be aware, yesterday September 15th, 2021, Alberta declared A STATE OF PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY. COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations continue to rise at an alarming rate in all of Alberta, with Edmonton having unprecedented numbers. This increase is largely in unvaccinated Albertans.
New measures to protect the health care system, stop the spread and increase vaccination rates came into effect midnight September 16th.
Rapid Testing was available weekly to all staff from June 2021. We were able to identify if anyone tested positive and have them report to Alberta Health Services for further investigation.
In the past two weeks, Venta Care Centre implemented more protocols for staff (masks& shields) and we began Mandatory Rapid Testing of all employees daily. This initiative helped to identify two asymptomatic vaccinated employees who were COVID positive. We believe that this initiative prevented any Resident from exposure from a staff member.
In collaboration with AHS and CDC, the MOH determined that Venta Care Centre will remain on an “ALERT” until September 27th, 2021. As a result of the “ALERT” status, we precautionarily swabbed any resident who may have had contact with these employees. All Resident COVID swabs came back negative.
Today, September 16th, 2021 @ 1300 hours, we held an Emergency Resident/Family Engagement Council Meeting to discuss the State of Emergency status.
All residents were invited to attend and portered to the meeting. By a unanimous consensus, the Residents indicated the following effective IMMEDIATELY.
- Staff must continue to wear PPE such as medical masks and face shields.
- All staff must continue to have daily rapid tests completed.
- Due to the increase manpower required for staff swabbing (daily / multiple times though out the day per shifts) Residents agreed to make Visitation Hours from 11am – 4pm ONLY.
- We encourage families to refrain from having children under the age of 18 visit.
- All vaccinated visitors to wear a mask, shield and gown continuously in all common areas of the building and while visiting in the Resident’s room.
- Until the next meeting, any unvaccinated visitor should refrain from visiting the facility. Visitation can be arranged by contacting Miranda at 780-377-4412 and organizing a window or skype visit.
- All visitors will put on/take off their PPE in the front foyer before entering into the main entrance. The PPE packages are located inside the cupboard.
- Once PPE is donned, please ring buzzer and show reception your yellow VCC vaccination card for entry.
- You are still required to complete the sign in and sign out forms located inside the front entrance.
Thank you for your continued support that has allowed us the opportunity to work to keep everyone safe.
Venta Care Centre continues to have real-life heroes working here and we are very proud of all of the staff who show up each day to serve the Residents. Their commitment and dedication are remarkable, and we are very grateful to them.
We are committed to full transparency and open communication.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call Christine Birzgalis, BA/RN Acting DON at 780-377-4403 during business hours.
Dr. Peter Birzgalis
CEO Venta Care Centre